Call for Production Applications
Zodiak holds an open call for production applications once a year. The next call will be
Call for production applications 2019
Call for production applications for 2019 is now open. The call is open until October 2, 2017. Preliminary applications for 2020 are also taken into consideration.
Zodiak – Center for New Dance is a progressive dance organisation and the most significant production house of contemporary dance in Finland. The mission of Zodiak is to produce, present and promote works of high artistic quality and innovation. Zodiak provides a creative environment and collegial platform for independent dance artists and groups. For the audience, Zodiak offers a versatile program of cutting-edge contemporary dance, events and activities.
Production categories 2019
1) The core of Zodiak's activities is the program of premiere works / new creations, which Zodiak co-produces. Focus is on productions with a bold, movement based and corporeal approach to contemporary dance and the performing arts. Each production is expected to have some other financing in addition to Zodiak's share of costs.
2) In addition to new creations, guest performances of Finnish works are also considered. Due to the limited number of project possibilities, international guest performances or proposals for Side Step Festival are not considered in this process.
3) Proposals for outreach projects, courses and teachers are also welcome.
4) Proposals for Z-free. Z-free is space for artistic try-outs and meditations, that will also be opened to the audience is a free demonstration session. Zodiak’s support for one Z-free is approximately 30 hours of studio time plus a small financial support.
5) We are also looking for proposals of working plans for house choreographer term 2019–2020. In addition to single artists, also working teams of two of more members can apply for the position.
We are looking for proposals with a two-year general working plan. Please note: if your plan includes proposals for new premieres, make separate applications for them. The same applies to workshop proposals.
The house choreographer is not employed by Zodiak. Zodiak offers the house choreographer an artistic base, and commits to co-produce the house choreographers artistic work, in a manner to be agreed on separately.
APPLICATION FORM is open from September 1 until October 2, 2017 here:
- project plan, max 3 pages
- curriculum vitaes of the members in the artistic team
Attachments must be sent together with the application form by email. Acceptable attachment file forms are doc, odt, xls, xlsx, pdf, zip.
If the applicants work has never been co-produced by Zodiak before, the sending of work samples is highly recommended. Web videos are preferred, the link should be mentioned in the application form. If videos are not available online, the sample can also be send as a dvd. Dvds must be sent by mail to Zodiak – Center for New Dance, Tallberginkatu 1/154, FI-00180 Helsinki. Work samples must contain the name of the applicant and the work. Work samples are not returned.
Zodiak's production selection for 2019 is made by Zodiak's artistic director Harri Kuorelahti together with Zodiak's artistic team. The applicants are informed by the end of January 2018 by email. The final programming possibly requires some flexibility on the scheduling of productions.
Artistic director Harri Kuorelahti, email@example.com